||Pageland Progressive Journal
Applications are being accepted for the position of editor at The Pageland Progressive Journal in Pageland, SC. Pageland is approximately 40 miles southeast of Charlotte, NC. The Progressive Journal is a 1,500 paid weekly published on Tuesdays. This position will serve as editor as well as daily supervisor of two part- time staff members. This is an exempt position that reports to the editor of The Lancaster News. The Progressive Journal offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and paid time off benefits. The newspaper can be found online at www.pagelandprogressive.com.
- Degree in journalism and three to five years' experience in news supervision
- Working knowledge of overall newspaper production process
- Must be well organized and a self-starter with the ability to direct day-to-day operations
- Must have the leadership skills to coach and mentor staff
- Must have good time management and news judgment skills
- Must be able to write and edit stories, design pages and paginate pages
- Proficiency in InDesign
- Must have reliable transportation and a valid driver's license
- Plan, assign stories and continually improve local editorial content
- Coach and develop staff
- Contribute to the news product with stories, columns, and photos
- Be available to your readers for all editorial concerns
- Edit and proof editorial content
- Paginate pages and meet all printing and distribution deadlines
- Be active in the community and represent the newspaper in community and civic activities
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.
|Editor of weekly newspaper
||North Augusta Star
The weekly North Augusta Star has an immediate opening for the Editor position. The newspaper covers the growing city of North Augusta which is located in Aiken County, SC, directly across the river from Augusta, Ga., home of the Masters.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The ideal candidate should have previous newsroom management experience with the capability to oversee staff, organize content for the weekly newspaper, have strong editing skills and strong people skills.
Candidates with no newsroom management experience should have significant reporting experience and be equipped with good customer relation skills and able to easily and professionally speak and work with readers and the public daily.
• Seek out and write hyper-local news stories on a daily basis, as well as planning impactful, enterprise stories that will draw interest in our area
• Planning content for the weekly newspaper and daily online content
• A multi-tasker with the skills to write stories and shoot and edit photographs for print as needed
• Some night and weekend work required
• Plan and design in collaboration with the paper’s design hub
• Promote positive image of the newspaper and its initiatives
• Establish collaborative relationships with community leaders
Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications
• Accomplished editor or an experienced and talented reporter
• Experience using digital Content Management Systems (CMS)
• Superb social media skills are vital
• Strong skills with writing, editing, AP style and libel law
• Practice effective time-management for copy flow and production
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
• Ability to prioritize workload and self-manage projects, handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines
• Knowledge of the community and surrounding cities a plus
• Some local travel will be required.
Send resumes and cover letter to Executive Editor Michael Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
|Video & Digital Media Producer
The Video & Digital Media Producer with Clemson University Public Service and Agriculture (PSA) and College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences (CAFLS) will be part of a team of communications professionals, content creators and social media strategists dedicated to fulfilling Clemson's land-grant mission of teaching, research and outreach through technological advancement, cutting-edge innovation and the highest standards of digital communication.
The Video & Digital Media Producer will produce radio, television, web, or other emerging technology content designed to impart research-based information and highlight the impact of PSA/CAFLS programs and people.
The Video & Digital Media Producer will collaborate with communications team members to conceive, produce, coordinate and direct video, audio, and digital content with consideration for cross platform use beyond television and radio, including web, social media, and other emerging technologies. The Video & Digital Media Producer will work within brand standards to develop the look, feel and mood of video, audio, and digital content through creative design from conception of ideas to final product. The Video & Digital Media Producer will operate camera, lighting, and audio equipment, and computer video, audio and image editing systems to create broadcast-quality video, audio, and digital content.
Additionally, the Video & Digital Media Producer will work with assigned clients to conceptualize, shoot, edit and produce broadcast-quality video, audio, and digital content, and manage the development and production of video, audio and digital content in collaboration with Clemson University Broadcast Productions.
- Bachelor's degree;
- Experience in video and digital media production;
- Demonstrated experience on a communications team in a higher-education setting;
- Demonstrated experience on a communications team in a land-grant university setting with emphasis on agriculture, natural resources, Extension and regulatory digital communications;
Contact Person: Scott Miller (email@example.com)
May 29, 2017
Clemson University is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against any person or group on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, pregnancy, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or genetic information. Clemson University is building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and encourages applications from minorities and women.
||The Manning Times
The Manning Times, one of the oldest weekly newspapers in South Carolina, is looking for a motivated, responsible and driven staff writer to join our staff. Coverage areas include general newspaper stories, special section materials and public meetings. Minimum 12 stories weekly. AP style proficiency required. Graduating journalism students encouraged to apply. Send resumes AND clip files to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Real-time Digital Editor
||The Sun News
MyrtleBeachOnline.com and The Sun News is seeking an energetic real-time editor to perform as a player-coach on a team that manages social media, our website, headline writing, SEO, as well as story and video aggregation. The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated, strategic editor who will produce and promote content across platforms using analytics and other digital strategies. This editor must be able to execute both quickly and well, with creativity.
• 1-2 years in a digital role
• Proven success growing social media channels and referral traffic
• Ability to use analytics to drive decisions
• Some CMS experience preferred
• Editing skills must include headline writing, video production, share text capabilities
• Must be able to quickly edit and aggregate video and stories
If interested, send a cover letter, resume and references to Executive Editor Stephanie Pedersen at email@example.com.
McClatchy, one of the top digital media companies in the nation, is searching for the best of the best.
At McClatchy we don’t take hiring lightly.
We look for talented, hard-working people.
Come join us on our journey toward digital transformation.
We could use more talented people.
What can McClatchy offer you?
- YOU can make a difference everyday:
- Work for a company that truly values the individual.
- Challenging, motivating, and a fun work environment. We believe that success comes from a dynamic working environment that offers professionals an opportunity to grow and succeed alongside extraordinary people.
- Company culture that is guided by our core values, thriving on passion, challenging employees to make a difference every day, with excellence for the people we support every day.
McClatchy is both a leading Digital Media Company and Publisher offering news, information and marketing solutions in many of the nation's best markets. Every day, our talented employees create and deliver award-winning journalism and advertising solutions to growing audiences and businesses. Our digital and print publication lineup includes iconic brands such as the Miami Herald, The Kansas City Star, The Sacramento Bee, The Charlotte Observer, The (Raleigh) News and Observer, and the (Fort Worth) Star-Telegram, to name a few.
McClatchy is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug-free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender id.
McClatchy is headquartered in Sacramento, Calif., and is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol MNI.
||The Post and Courier
As a member of the senior management team of The Post and Courier, this position directly oversees the finance division including oversight of all billing, credit management and accounts payable. This position works directly with senior management team to formulate strategic plans and prepare financial budgets.
- Manage staff responsible for Accounts Payable, Purchasing, Credit Management, Billing, Cash Management, Financial Reporting, Accounts Receivable, and Circulation Accounting. Provide training, motivation, guidance, and cross-training. Encourage a service-oriented atmosphere. Expect the staff to be professional, dedicated, work well with others, maintain the highest ethical standards and continue to improve skills.
- Financial Reporting – Forecasting, Benchmarking, Month-end and Year-end close and financial reporting. Review expenses and revenue and make recommendations that will improve GOP. Responsible for making sure the company follows generally accepted accounting procedures and IRS rules
- Taxes – Sales tax, 1099’s, Business Licenses, Property taxes. Monitor tax laws for any changes to ensure we are in compliance
- Annual budget preparation and analysis. Review and research variances monthly.
- General Ledger, journal entries, reconciliations
- Cash management, credit cards, and other banking services and related issues
- Audits – contract for internal, annual external, regulatory
- Review internal Controls and ensure compliance. Maintain documentation of processes
- New Product initiatives – financial reporting and set-up, review profitability
- Review and record monthly inventory – newsprint, ink, supplies, plates, LIFO adjustment calculation
- Review and monitor all company expenditures including capital asset purchases
- Annual various filings including Independent Newspaper Group (ING) study
- Advertising – review, track and report sponsorships, develop reports to help Advertising track revenue and improve forecasting, review commission structure, new product P & L’s, manage, track and record new initiatives
- Support all department managers with financial reporting needs, procedures and policies
- Work with subsidiary group on smart business function consolidation practices around systems, reporting and staffing.
- Month-end close for circulation for subsidiaries except Kingstree and Aiken
Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
- CPA or MBA or equivalent experience with audit experience of medium to large complex organizations preferred
- 5+ years’ experience with responsibility for managing accounting functions.
- Experienced with cloud based systems, such as Oracle or similar systems and their close processes. Power user of Oracle Fusion is a big plus
- 4 year degree in Accounting/Business Administration
- Previous management experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A good command of complex multi-state accounting and corporate tax principles
- Microsoft Office Suite working knowledge (intermediate to advanced Excel and Word skills)
- Ability to lead by example – support vision of organization and promote core values
- Verbal, written and presentation communication skills
- Ability to teach and train with patience and clarity
- Interpersonal and customer service skills
- Detailed-oriented with strong analytical skills; able to independently research and resolve issues
- Organizational and project management skills to manage multiple priorities within tight deadlines while maintaining the highest standards in completeness and accuracy
- Strong technical accounting skills and solid knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Working knowledge of financial systems and ability to leverage technology
- Change management and process improvement mindset with ability to support mentoring role with others
- Demonstrated ability to analyze results to include presentation of findings and execution of change deemed necessary to promote improvement
- Must be able to drive an automobile and be able to travel.
Close eye work, continuous sitting, and light to moderate lifting 15-30 pounds (per safety policy).
The worker is frequently subject to inside environmental conditions, which provide protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes, and is sometimes subject to outside environmental conditions.
If interested, contact Becky Baulch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Seeking a veteran reporter to anchor our business team based in Greenville and Anderson
||Gannett Co. Inc/USA TODAY Network, Greenville
The USA Today Network South Carolina is seeking a veteran reporter to anchor our business team based in Greenville and Anderson as it covers the local economy, business, growth and development. Our community consistently is ranked among the best places in the country to live and do business.
Greenville is the economic center of Upstate South Carolina, a region that boasts more 1.4 million residents who work for major employers such as BMW, GE, Michelin, Fluor and Bosch, to name a view. Anderson is a suburban community roughly 30 minutes away that is close to Clemson University, a leader in advanced materials and automotive research that helps feed the region’s growth in those industries and many others.
We are looking for a journalist who can break stories in a highly competitive market by building a successful business beat. We also want someone who can develop meaningful enterprise work that looks behind the jobs and at the dynamics that are driving Upstate South Carolina’s growth and the public policy that affects it every day. Finally, we want someone who embraces multimedia journalism and can put together cohesive, meaningful storytelling across platforms and who is as comfortable producing video and interactive elements as they are at producing an engaging narrative.
South Carolina's Upstate is a beautiful, active region that boasts an amazing quality of life. The Blue Ridge Mountains provide scenic opportunities for hiking, biking and camping. The metropolitan area is home to 800,000 and sits midway between Atlanta and Charlotte.
• Competitive compensation
• Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage
• Life Insurance
• 401(K) Saving Plan
• Paid Time Off
• Paid Company Holidays
• Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
• Employee Discount Program
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Apply at http://www.gannett.com.
|Full Time Reporter
||The Daniel Island News
The Daniel Island News, an award winning weekly newspaper in Charleston, SC, has an immediate opening for a general assignment reporter who can easily cover a town meeting one night and breaking news the next, with a feature thrown in for good measure. Photography skills and InDesign skills a plus. If you know AP style, have an undergraduate degree - preferably in journalism - can work odd hours as news coverage warrants and want the opportunity to write impactful stories, then send your resume, three references and examples of stories that you have written to Editor Elizabeth Bush at email@example.com. This is an excellent opportunity in a growing community to make your mark.
|General Manager/Chief Revenue Officer
||The Newberry Observer
The Newberry Observer in Newberry, SC is now accepting applications for a General Manager/Chief Revenue Officer for the South Carolina Group of newspapers which include Newberry, SC, Union, SC and Pickens/Easley, SC.
This position is responsible for growing ad revenue for the South Carolina Group working with revenue leaders in the other properties to achieve revenue goals.
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the daily and long-term operational goals of the
South Carolina Group. On a day-to-day basis, this general manager/chief revenue officer will manage staff, work schedules and delegate tasks. Long-term management requires this position to establish departmental policies, yearly objectives, areas of opportunity and goals related to sales and budgeting. On an ongoing basis, the General Manager/Chief Revenue Officer must determine the growth and strategy of Newberry and the other South Carolina publications and respond to changes in staff, including hiring, firing and promotions.
This is a full-time position with a full benefits package. Compensation includes a base salary and generous commission plan.
- 2-3 years of sales and leadership experience preferred
- Good organizational skills; detail oriented
- Demonstrated high energy level; self-motivated
- Excellent customer service attitude
- Must possess computer proficiency, including working knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint
- Team oriented behavior
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Lead staff in the areas of advertising, circulation and newspaper production.
- Understand and oversee business controls
- Work with other departments (accounting, production, editorial) to solve problems and improve processes
- Keep paperwork and files current and accessible
- Foster community relationships
- Improve company by suggesting new ideas, processes, publications, projects
Please email your resume and cover letter to Butch Hughes, East Region Vice President, Civitas Media, LLC.
The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Customer Service Rep/Inside Sales
||The Union Times
Customer Service Representative needed to answer phones, data entry, and assist walk-in customers.
Candidate should have customer service experience, knowledge of computers, the ability to multi-task and light accounting experience.
Send resume to:
|Outside Sales Rep
||The Newberry Observer
Are you a motivated self-starter with strong communication and presentation skills?
Do you crave a fast-paced and exciting work environment?
Join our growing team of Advertising Sales Representatives!
We are looking for people with a passion for sales, success and customer service to join our dynamic sales team.
Competitive Salary with No-cap commission plan
- Full time with benefits
Send resume to:
|Jobs at S.C. Newspapers
As a service to its member newspapers, the South Carolina Press Association lists employment opportunities on our website upon request. There is no charge for this service to SCPA member newspapers. The non-member fee to post job listings is $35 per ad – with ads being listed for a period of 30 days. Job listings should be emailed to email@example.com.
Those seeking positions within the newspaper industry are encouraged to check this site frequently for new listings.
Click here to access employment opportunities listed on SNPA's site.