|Digital Sales Manager
Are you a dynamic leader? Do you love digital marketing? Are you driven and competitive? We are seeking the right leader to take our team to the next level by developing great team members to become integrated media strategists. The right team builder believes in the digital future and pushes for results while incorporating and providing a fun work environment.
- Build a robust pipeline of digital opportunities
- Leverage a consultative approach to sales
- Be a leader - Work with multimedia sales teams in teaching and developing mindsets. Think and talk digital on every call. Assertively and pro-actively drive digital sales through training, education, & direct/indirect sales pressure
- Develop, present and implement marketing proposals for local and regional advertisers and agencies that include market research, Web site analytics, digital data and long-term advertising solutions
- Provide sales forecasts, customer feedback, and industry trends to management
- Negotiate and monitor contracts
- Maintain knowledge of all digital products and programs and take initiative to develop new digital revenue generators under the guidance of the Advertising Director
- Find solutions to digital account challenges, ncluding marketing needs, new product development, and promotion implementations
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 2 years digital sales management experience with a love of training and teaching
- Proven sales record in digital, exceptional customer service skills and the ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Comprehensive knowledge of needs-based selling techniques, ProMax preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite applications
- An assertive, goal-oriented and self-motivated mindset
- Excellent written & verbal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team and individually
- High energy level & exceptional people skills
- Passion for digital advertising
To apply, e-mail resume to
|Sports reporter/page designer
The Aiken Standard, a 15,000 circulation daily newspaper located in Aiken, S.C., is seeking a new addition to its Sports Department, looking for the ideal candidate to fill a sports reporter/page designer position.
The newspaper, owned by Evening Post Industries, covers the Aiken County area and beyond and the Sports Department reports everything from youth sports to professional championship events.
The ideal candidate is a hard-working go-getter who's both passionate and knowledgeable about sports in addition to journalism. As a reporter, the candidate must have a keen sense of observation and be able to accurately, quickly relate those details – whether it is covering high school sports, USC Aiken athletics, the Masters tournament or more. As a page designer, the candidate must have the ability to creatively present stories in an appealing manner while always thinking about what can enhance the reader's experience. Previous experience preferred. Must be willing to work evenings, weekends and some holidays.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Covering a wide-range of events
• Writing both game stories and features
• Performing well under pressure of deadline
• Generating story ideas
• Taking photographs to accompany stories
• Have an understanding of social media and how to use it to enhance your work
• Ability to bring a fresh perspective in an ever-changing newspaper industry
• Cultivating relationships with the people and teams you cover
• Ability to easily work with other reporters and editors in the newsroom
• Laying out everything from an eye-catching centerpiece to properly formatting a box score
• Editing copy for spelling, grammar and AP style
• Writing engaging, informative headlines
• Contributing story ideas and editorial ideas
• Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in journalism, English or communications
• Strong skills with writing, editing, headline writing and AP style
• Proficiency with Photoshop, and InDesign
• Ability to think critically and apply problem-solving skills on daily basis
• Previous experience in a newsroom environment
• Must be a team player! We want to add a smart, interesting and hard-working individual to our team who is not afraid of constructive criticism and who is ready to collaborate with others and strive for accuracy and dynamic page design daily.
• Knowledge of the community of Aiken, S.C. and surrounding cities a plus
This is a full-time position, with a pay rate that equates relevant experience in the business, as well as insurance and 401(k) benefits.
Job applicants should send a resume to Sports Editor Noah Feit at firstname.lastname@example.org by Nov. 11. No phone calls please.
||The Manning Times
The Manning Times, one of the midland's oldest newspapers, is looking for a graphics artist to help us keep moving forward. Experience in InDesign needed. This person will be responsible for laying out both our weekly paper and our shopper, The Times Extra, along with designing all ads and other print products. Degree in graphics or visual arts a plus. Please send resumes, portfolios and references to The Manning Times, P.O. Box 190, Manning, SC 29102, or email to email@example.com.
||The Post and Courier
The Post and Courier, a growing family-owned news organization based in beautiful Charleston, S.C., is looking for a journalist who knows how to raise hell and tell a great story.
We’re adding a fourth reporter to a public service/watchdog team that has had its work lauded by The Neiman Foundation for Journalism, The Center for Investigative Reporting, The Hillman Foundation and others. Our team has been a Pulitzer Prize finalist two out of the last four years, and our most recent major project, “Till Death Do Us Part,” has earned national attention. (You can read it here: http://www.postandcourier.com/tilldeath/title.html)
To put it simply: We want a kick-ass journalist with demonstrated success on mid-range and long-term projects. You could be a storyteller, a hard-nosed, take-no-prisoners reporter, a data geek or all of that and more. Your specialty isn’t our chief concern. We’re looking for a talented journalist who wants to make a difference.
We offer a break from the cost-cutting (at all costs) recent history of corporate-owned media companies. The Post and Courier’s local owners have deep roots in the community and care deeply about this newspaper and its reputation. While many news organizations are handing out pink slips, we’re adding positions to our newsroom in 2015. This is still a place where reporters are called reporters and editors are editors, but we’re also aggressively pushing every digital boundary you can imagine. No idea is too crazy or too big.
(Oh, yeah, did we mention you’d be living minutes from the beach and in a city that Conde Nast recently ranked the No. 2 place to visit in the world? There’s that, too.)
If you have the skills to measure up with the best in the business and this sounds like a place you’d like to work, send a resume and links to your three best projects to Executive Editor Mitch Pugh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and drug-free workplace.
|The sales job of your dreams
||Lexington County Chronicle & The Dispatch News
Frustrated with cold calling?
Tired of prospects telling you to get lost?
We can teach you the inside secrets of selling by referral.
You’ll also discover the secrets of results-producing ads.
If you love sales and have a minimum two years sales experience, please contact Linda Sauls at email@example.com
|Content Producer Wanted
||The Herald Independent
The Herald Independent in Winnsboro, S.C., is looking for a content producer who can bolster coverage in Fairfield County for print, the web, Facebook and Twitter. The Herald Independent publishes on Tuesdays and Fridays. It is owned by Civitas Media LLC, based in Davidson, N.C.
We need a hard-working multi-tasker with a love for local reporting, a flair for writing and a commitment to making our publication the best it can be in print and online.
This is an entry level position but reporters with experience at a weekly are encouraged to apply. The position requires news and sports reporting. Reporters are not required to have a personal digital camera but having one is a plus.
What we are looking for:
• Accuracy and clarity in writing
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Ability to meet deadlines and effectively manage time
• Ability to think outside the box
To apply, send your resume/cover letter with at least five references who can speak directly to your talent, writing samples that show your local writing chops and photography skills and a letter telling us why you are the person for the job to firstname.lastname@example.org.
||Hemingway Weekly Observer
The Morning News/ Carolina Publishing Group is seeking an experienced journalist for the position of editor of the Weekly Observer in Hemingway, SC. This position is responsible for producing copy, photos and videos for once-a-week newspaper; maintaining a web site and overseeing the newspaper office.
The ideal candidate will have minimum two years reporting experience with proven news judgment and excellent communication skills. Multimedia experience as well as editing and photography experience is required.
Candidates should have a bachelor's degree in journalism or communications and two years of experience in reporting or editing. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and AP style is a must. Experience with and understanding of multimedia journalism is required. EOE/M/F/D/V. Drug Screen/Background check required.
Apply online at www.bhmginc.com/careers or email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
|Pursue your passion for editing with the quality of life only available at the beach. Georgetown Communications, publishers of the Georgetown Times, Waccamaw Times, Inlet Outlook and southstrandnews.com is seeking an experienced editor to lead our newsroom. You will cover all the communities of the South Carolina’s “South Strand” including Georgetown, Pawleys Island, Litchfield beach, Murrells Inlet and Garden City Beach.
We are a small but fast paced and competitive organization. The successful candidate will be a positive and professional team player with a strong background in community news. You will lead and manage our dedicated staff in producing print and digital content that makes us the leading source for news on the South Strand.
Georgetown Communications is privately owned by Evening Post Industries. This is a unique opportunity to enjoy an exceptional quality life with a challenging professional opportunity. Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|The Morning News in Florence, S.C., seeks a dynamic news editor to join our newsroom management team and help make a good news organization better. In an operation that puts a premium on local news coverage, this leader will work with the editor, digital content editor and sports editor to direct and inspire a first-rate staff that takes pride in producing compelling web and print content.
The ideal candidate will coach and motivate reporters. This position requires good line-editing skills. Passion for journalism, proven news judgment and excellent communication and planning skills are a must.
A bachelor’s degree is required. Experience in newsroom management is a plus.
Apply online at www.bhmginc.com/careers or email cover letter and resume to email@example.com. EOE/M/F/D/V.
The Morning News is a subsidiary of the Berkshire Hathaway Corporation, a Fortune 100 company
|Seeking experienced journalist
|The Morning News, a subsidiary of the Berkshire Hathaway Corporation, a Fortune 100 company is seeking a self-motivated, high-energy journalist to cover assignments in Florence, SC. The job requires the ability to cover breaking news, produce quality enterprise stories for the newspaper, and our website, www.SCnow.com. The candidate selected will be assigned a beat, depending upon their abilities and interests, and the needs of the newsroom, so the ability to develop sources and cover a specific area is essential. Because the Morning News and scnow.com report news around the clock, candidates must demonstrate commitment to the philosophy that news gathering is a “24/7” process.
Candidates should be familiar with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, QuarkXpress and Photoshop as well as some knowledge of software programs that aid in posting to the Web. Must be willing to learn new things, be flexible and able to adapt and grow with the job. Must be able to take photographs and shoot video to accompany stories, or be willing to learn same. Candidates will be required to post video, photographs and stories to the Web, along with copy editing and page proofing. A valid driver’s license, access to a vehicle, proof of auto insurance and the ability to cover assignments at night or on weekends is required.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related discipline preferred. Experience working in a digital newsroom a plus. Apply online at www.bhmginc.com/careers or email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE/M/F/D/V.
Family owned newspaper located in the beautiful southeast requires an experienced advertising director to manage the advertising department of this 13,000 circulation, seven-day operation.
We need a working director experienced in handling major accounts, making sales calls with his or her staff and setting achievable goals for multiple product sales, including the newspaper, website, TMC product and community magazine. Ours is a great retail sales market with the closest mid-sized city over an hour away.
This is not a step-up position so if you have never directed the advertising functions of a mid-sized daily, look to the next opportunity. We need someone who can hit the ground running, evaluate the staff, the incentive programs, the products and drive revenue.
If you love the advertising sales business and are looking for a terrific part of the country to enjoy where you work, this could be your golden opportunity.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and presentation, so sell us on your skills.
P.O. Box 1018 | Greenwood, SC 29648
610 Phoenix St | Greenwood, SC
(864) 943-2528 Phone
(864) 223-7331 Fax
||The Post and Courier
|The Post and Courier is currently seeking a Revenue Manager for the Magazine. The Revenue Manager will be responsible for leading, implementing, and executing business strategies for the company’s targeted niche products. Grow the revenues of The Post and Courier’s current portfolio of niche products, execute sales strategies and work with other sales executives to execute print and digital goals for the products. Manager will work with respective editors on content development and ideas. Manager should have a proven record as a motivator, leader of change and problem solver as well as solid analytical skills for planning new products. Individual must possess strong leadership skills and will play an important role in the development and implementation of advertising strategies and rate structures. Manager will lead their team to maintain the standards of performance of the department.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Develop and execute strategic sales plans for the company’s niche and custom products, including print, digital and event formats.
- Monitor and analyze print and digital metrics to ensure sales objectives are achieved.
- Lead, develop, and train a team of multi-media account executives and build strong relationships among the department’s management and sales teams.
- Monitors and analyzes competitive advertising rates. Recommends adjustments to rating strategies as necessary to remain competitive in the marketplace.
- Monitor competitive print and digital media for trends, ideas, threats and opportunities. Implement short-term and long-term strategies from findings.
- Attend local business meetings and events to meet and engage with business leaders.
- Analyze workflow and make recommendations to streamline operations to create the best experience for internal and external customers.
- Works with advertisers to develop successful relationships, including making sales calls with staff.
- Plans, forecasts, and prepares departmental budget; determines revenue goals and related expenditures; conforms to budgetary requirements.
- Promotes sales and readership of niche products by working with the marketing department on promotional advertising and sales materials.
- Creates sales material to assist account executives in selling special sections.
- Works collaboratively with advertising sales and marketing leaders to develop effective incentive programs and sales strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in business, marketing, communications or related field.
- Minimum of three to five years’ experience with sales and account management.
- Proven ability to meet revenue goals.
- Ability to relate well with clients and business leaders and collaborate with co-workers.
- History of consultative selling approach across print and digital platforms.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to present research and proposals clearly.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Working knowledge of Sugar and Brainworks.
Resumes may be mailed to Bernadette Faretra at 134 Columbus Street, Charleston, SC 29403-4800 or may be submitted by email to email@example.com.
|Seeking regional editor for Upstate SC and Western NC
||The Greenville News
The Greenville News and Asheville Citizen-Times are looking for an editor with powerful journalism coaching abilities.
In our revamped newsroom, coaches oversee reporters who are expected to own their beats and subject areas. Gone are the assigning editors who directed coverage from behind a desk. In their place are coaches who act as sounding boards for improving ideas and mentors to help our journalists grow.
The emphasis is on developing ideas from inception. Regular communication happens before a notebook is cracked. Editing is still a part of the process, though, and the ability to sharpen ledes and clarify points is important.
This position oversees our far-ranging regional reporters and close-to-home community reporters. The former has deep subject knowledge and a large geographic footprint, while the latter focuses on hyper-local journalism of our surrounding communities and our weekly publications that serve them.
Helping foster young talent while motivating and inspiring veterans is key to success. As the head of a seven-person team of reporters, the regional coach must manage across distance while building a cohesive team of problem solvers. Coaches should be familiar with AP style and narrative techniques, but also think creatively about multimedia interactives and video approaches. We have experts to handle the technical details, but, as the coach overseeing these reporters, we expect you and your team to kick off the idea process.
South Carolina's Upstate is a beautiful, active region that boasts an amazing quality of life. The Blue Ridge mountains provide opportunities for great mountain biking and stellar scenery. Greenville is a forward-facing community with a vibrant downtown ‹ you won't find a better backdrop from which to accomplish your goal of reinventing journalism.
We value and appreciate a diverse workforce.
|Niche Content Manager
||The Post and Courier
The Post and Courier in vibrant Charleston, S.C., is looking for a visionary editor to take our magazines and niche products to the next level.
The right candidate will be organized, disciplined and a charismatic team player who brings both print and digital skills to the job. We are looking for someone who can not only edit and plan content but help us grow our niche audience through new and existing products.
This person will be responsible for managing content, editing and design as well as print and web production of all our niche products, including magazines, special sections and advertorial sections. The position reports to the Executive Editor but you must be able to coordinate closely with our advertising and marketing leaders.
Our magazines and niche products include Lowcountry Parent, North Charleston Magazine, Tideline, My Charleston magazine and more.
The Post and Courier is a part of a privately held, family-owned corporation with diverse holdings and a deep commitment to journalism. We are located in beautiful downtown Charleston, home to one of the world’s preeminent dining scenes and just minutes from three amazing beaches. In fact, Travel + Leisure magazine has rated Charleston as the No. 1 city in the U.S. and Canada for two consecutive years. In 2014, Charleston was also ranked the No. 2 city in the world in the magazine’s annual readers’ poll.
If you think you fit the bill, send a resume and a cover letter to Executive Editor Mitch Pugh at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Post and Courier is a drug-free and equal opportunity employer.
The Greenwood (S.C.) Index-Journal, a 12,000-circulation daily newspaper, is looking for a talented, energetic and aggressive staff writer/reporter to join its award-winning team.
Your first thoughts? Eh, why bother with a small daily newspaper in lil ole South Carolina. True, we're not a major metro, but we do have a hard-working staff that has surpassed the parameters established for a small daily.
In the past four years, our newspaper collected 143 South Carolina Press Association awards. We've won the President's Cup (twice now), a points-based honor given to the best newspaper in each circulation category. We've placed in General Excellence (overall newspaper award) three of the last four years. The Index-Journal is a place where you can pour out your talents and join in bringing home some top awards.
The position we're looking to fill is crucial to our team. We need a reporter who can and will dig into local government reporting on all levels - city, county councils as well as legislators. We're not talking about the superficial meeting coverage, either. We need someone who will drill down. Not every story is of Watergate magnitude, but the reporter filling this slot should not take everything at face value. There's an old saying shared by editors of yore: If your mother tells you she loves you, check it out. That's the kind of fact-checking reporter we want. You should be aggressive, yet fair. Make no mistake. This is not a beat-the-doors-down, hit-'em-up daily position. There are solid feature stories to be told too. As we said, it's not all Watergate, but in the past several years our government reporting has unearthed stories that spoke directly to the taxpayers' pocketbook while landing the newspaper rewards in the areas of in-depth reporting and as frontline fighters in the battle to uphold the state's Freedom of Information Act.
We are a family owned newspaper, which means we don’t have the layers of corporate executives to wade through. While newspapers are struggling to stay in business — and reducing the quality of the product — we’ve thrived.
The ideal candidate must understand local news matters and can convey that through stories and photos (when our photographer isn't available).
If you think this job sounds like a good fit for you, and you have the desire to help us continue our award-winning, public-serving publication, we want to hear from you.
And if you're astute enough to recognize this ad was posted recently, there is a good reason: Another one of our award-winning reporters is moving on to face new challenges, unearth corruption and further build on his career.
To apply, send your resume, a cover letter and 5-10 clips (we're looking for enterprise, breaking news and well-written features) via regular mail or email to:
Richard S. Whiting
P.O. Box 1018
Greenwood, SC 29648
No phone calls please.
|Multimedia Account Executive
The Herald-Journal, a Halifax Media Company Newspaper, wants you to join our multi-media sales team if you are able to:
• Actively develop new business
• Formulate multi-media recommendations that connect solutions to advertiser needs
• Analyze competitive media to develop new client opportunities
• Develop new business from cold calling, prospecting and consultative selling
• Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of all multi-media products: digital, print, broadcast
• Communicate well in person, over the phone and through e-mail
• Maintain and grow profi table revenues within existing business
• Provide good customer service and follow through to sustain existing business relationships
• Thorough knowledge of digital and print media
• Aggressive sales attitude
• Self-starter and good manager of time
• Ability to interpret marketing data for sales gain
To apply, e-mail resume to email@example.com.
|Digital Lead Account Executive
We have an exciting opportunity to specialize in selling digital advertising solutions for The Herald Media Group! The Digital Lead Account Representative is responsible for consultatively selling online advertising solutions using our suite of digital solutions to include the heraldonline.com network, Digital Buzz Solutions (extended audience reach), Yahoo!, Search Engine Marketing and more. This position must handle the needs of an account base and prospecting for new business. Requires working with the core multi-media account executives to build online business revenue. This opportunity comes with a salary plus a substantial bonus plan that will reward you for your efforts.
REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Energy, enthusiasm and dedication are musts!
- Cultivate client relationships through your ability to understand their marketing and business objectives.
- Demonstrate a high degree of diligence, accountability and strategic thinking.
- Drive to achieve/exceed sales goals.
- Champion, train and lead new and existing online solutions. Conduct informational training sessions during team weekly sales meetings.
- Champion and lead the sales team targeted publication advertising.
- Generate new business via networking, self-generated qualified leads, provided business leads, market research and cold call prospecting.
- Effective completion of needs assessment with target accounts and development of comprehensive proposals/presentations.
- Experience selling online solutions is a plus.
- Experience in account management (maintaining the relationship and increasing sales opportunities).
- Experience working with a fast sales cycle for a quick close.
- Must be an accomplished PC user and have a clear understanding of the Interactive media.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask while providing excellent customer service.
- High School required; four year degree preferred.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
||Lexington County Chronicle & The Dispatch News
Do you see sports journalism as more than just a job?
Do you love high school sports?
Do you have reporting and photography skills to produce a first class sports section each week?
Do you have experience with online and InDesign print production?
Do you aspire to one day run your own news-gathering operation?
If this sounds like you, please send resume to JerryBellune@yahoo.com
||The Greer Citizen
The Greer Citizen, an award-winning weekly newspaper located between Greenville and Spartanburg, is seeking a reporter to cover news in the Greer Area and the surrounding communities of Taylors, Lyman, Duncan and Wellford.
This is a full-time position, 35 hours a week.
Qualifications include solid knowledge of newspaper writing and AP style, the ability to find and produce stories that are relevant to the community, and meet deadlines.
Experience in InDesign and Photoshop are a plus, but not necessary.
Those interested are asked to e-mail a resume and references by Sept. 9 to Billy Cannada, editor, at Billy@greercitizen.com.
|Jobs at S.C. Newspapers
As a service to its member newspapers, the South Carolina Press Association lists employment opportunities on our website upon request. There is no charge for this service to SCPA member newspapers. The non-member fee to post job listings is $35 per ad – with ads being listed for a period of 30 days. Job listings should be emailed to email@example.com.
Those seeking positions within the newspaper industry are encouraged to check this site frequently for new listings.
Click here to access employment opportunities listed on SNPA's site.