Assignment Editor/Digital Editor
|The Herald, Rock Hill
The Herald of Rock Hill, South Carolina, seeks a creative Assignment Editor/Digital Editor for a hands-on newsroom position that includes: planning and execution of daily online coverage and special projects; coordinating presentation efforts throughout the newsroom, spearheading training efforts on SEO and social media best practices. While optimization of content for our various digital products will be the focus of this position, some weekend editing duties are required, and involve editing breaking news stories for print and online and minor page proofing.
On the digital side, we want the digital assignment editor actively involved in planning and discussion among the various desks, encouraging thoughtful web-presentation on breaking news as well as enterprise; offering alternative storytelling ideas whenever possible – whatever is needed to continue The Herald’s transition into a digital-first oriented publication.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Advanced problem-solving skills.
- A team player mentality with excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to work well with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback and constantly communicate with appropriate supervisors.
- Familiarity with multimedia, data visualization tools, social media and web page design.
- Experience with web publishing to varied digital platforms. We want innovative, engaging storytelling optimized for however readers are accessing our content.
- Some line-editing experience, editing staff and wire stories for both print and web publication.
About Rock Hill and The Herald:
Rock Hill is approximately 20 miles south of downtown Charlotte, N.C., and about 85 miles north of Columbia, S.C., the state capital. All major Southern cities are within easy driving distance, including Asheville, Raleigh, Atlanta and Orlando. With an average daily print circulation of about 24,000, and more than 500,000 unique visitors to our website monthly, The Herald serves the greater Rock Hill area, which includes York, Chester and parts of Lancaster counties.
Interested applicants should email resume, clips and links to multimedia content to: firstname.lastname@example.org
|The Sun News, Myrtle Beach
We're looking for Sales Superstars to attend our exclusive sales recruitment event. Join us for a networking reception and real-time job interview!
The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker who excels at developing and maintaining relationships with prospects and clients across organizations, effective at delivering the company's value proposition and has a strong track record of presenting ROI bases solutions.
When: Wednesday, October 26, 2016
Time: 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm
Where: The Sun News: 914 Frontage Road East, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
• Manage an existing book of business
• Acquire new business for multiple products through aggressive prospecting
• Execute on all phases of the sales cycle such as lead generation, prospecting, research, customer impact assessment, proposal generation, campaign implementation, account management/optimization, and follow up
Able to attend? Email Ronny Bellorinni at email@example.com to RSVP for an available time slot. NO WALK-INS, you must get a confirmation email to be admitted!
• 2 years inside and/or outside sales with proven success or
undergraduate degree with sales specialization
• Media or digital sales a plus
• Excellent time management skills
• Knowledge and use of consultative sales practices
• Utilize benefit based selling
• Persistence and Resilience
• Desire to help local businesses succeed
• Attention to detail
Local Account Executive
|The Herald, Rock Hill
Join The Herald Media, a leader in the digital media industry serving York, Lancaster and Chester counties. The Herald is emerging among the strongest and most successful news companies in the changing 21st century media landscape. To fuel this growth, we combine the mass reach of our daily newspaper with digital, targeted direct mail and niche publications. We are currently seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team as:
Local Account Executive
- Work within an assigned territory to maximize revenue from existing client base by recommending solutions that will return the needed ROI for customers.
- Prospect for new customer within the same assigned territory
- Understand all products and their ability to provide ROI for customers, especially digital.
- Achieve monthly revenue goals established by management
- Understand and assess and develop plans for areas for growth (cross-sell/up-sell/new customers) within identified opportunity categories and assigned geography and share insights with local sales team
- Utilize category-specific value propositions to incorporate impactful insights into proposals
- Ability to multi-task and thrive in a highly collaborative environment.
- Must have strong overall sales skills including prospecting, cold calling, presentation building and closing as well as provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to work well with others, as well as work independently.
- Self-motivated and strong work ethics.
- A high comfort level with digital media
- Ability to present effectively
- 3 - 5 years of sales experience, preferably media sales.
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Proven track record of surpassing sales goals and the ability to manage a geographic territory.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
The full-time position includes a competitive salary, commission program, and a comprehensive benefits package.
For consideration, please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
|The Sun News, Myrtle Beach
MyrtleBeachOnline.com and The Sun News has an immediate opening for an energetic senior editor with a great digital mind that will help lead our reporters and supporting editors grow our audience.
The ideal candidate will have strong news judgment and be aggressive and obsessive about bringing our readers the news every day. This is the No. 2 person in our newsroom, and the right candidate will be responsible for day-to-day story management, a breaking news team, supervising and executing growth goals, developing and overseeing projects and handling freelance budgets.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Success managing multiple teams
• Strong organizational and copy editing skills
• Proven success of online growth with a detailed understanding of metrics
• Talent for reporter and story development
• Ability to multitask and be comfortable in a fast-paced environment
• A love for social media and exploring new ways to tell stories
Education: College degree required.
Applicants should send cover letter, resume and clips to Stephanie Pedersen, Executive Editor, The Sun News, PO Box 406, Myrtle Beach SC, 29578, or email email@example.com
McClatchy, one of the top digital media companies in the nation, is searching for the best of the best.
At McClatchy we don’t take hiring lightly.
We look for talented, hard-working people.
Come join us on our journey toward digital transformation.
We could use more talented people.
What can McClatchy offer you?
- YOU can make a difference everyday:
- Work for a company that truly values the individual.
- Challenging, motivating, and a fun work environment. We believe that success comes from a dynamic working environment that offers professionals an opportunity to grow and succeed alongside extraordinary people.
- Company culture that is guided by our core values, thriving on passion, challenging employees to make a difference every day, with excellence for the people we support every day.
The real reason McClatchy is a great place to work: our people.
Learn how you can make a difference on Team McClatchy.
Niche Advertising Manager
|The Post and Courier, Charleston
The Post and Courier is seeking a dynamic sales leader to grow the revenues of our award-winning portfolio of niche products. The Niche Advertising Manager will collaborate with the content and sales team to implement creative sales strategies for both print and digital. Manager should have a proven record as a motivator, leader of change and problem solver as well as solid analytical skills for planning new products. Individual must possess strong leadership skills and will play an important role in the development and implementation of advertising strategies and rate structures. Manager will lead their team to maintain the standards of performance of the department.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Develop and execute strategic sales plans for the company’s niche and custom products, including print, digital and event formats.
- Monitor and analyze print and digital metrics to ensure sales objectives are achieved.
- Lead, develop, and train a team of multi-media account executives and build strong relationships among the department’s management and sales teams.
- Monitors and analyzes competitive advertising rates. Recommends adjustments to rating strategies as necessary to remain competitive in the marketplace.
- Monitor competitive print and digital media for trends, ideas, threats and opportunities. Implement short-term and long-term strategies from findings.
- Attend local business meetings and events to meet and engage with business leaders.
- Analyze workflow and make recommendations to streamline operations to create the best experience for internal and external customers.
- Works with advertisers to develop successful relationships, including making sales calls with staff.
- Plans, forecasts, and prepares departmental budget; determines revenue goals and related expenditures; conforms to budgetary requirements.
- Promotes sales and readership of niche products by working with the niche and marketing department on promotional advertising and sales materials.
- Creates sales material to assist account executives in selling special sections.
- Works collaboratively with advertising sales and marketing leaders to develop effective incentive programs and sales strategies.
Cover letter including salary requirements and resumes may be emailed to Chris Zoeller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Morning News, Florence
The Morning News, a subsidiary of the Berkshire Hathaway Corporation, a Fortune 100 company, is seeking a self-motivated, high-energy journalist to cover assignments in Florence, SC. The job requires the ability to cover breaking news, produce quality enterprise stories and features for the newspaper and our website, SCnow.com. The candidate selected will be assigned a beat, depending upon his or her abilities and interests, and the needs of the newsroom, so the ability to develop sources and cover a specific area is essential. Because the Morning News and scnow.com report news around the clock, candidates must demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy that news gathering is a “24/7” process.
Candidates should be familiar with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook and Photoshop as well as some knowledge of software programs that aid in posting to the web. Must be willing to learn new things, be flexible and able to adapt and grow with the job. Must be able to take photographs and shoot video to accompany stories, or be willing to learn. A valid driver’s license, access to a vehicle, proof of auto insurance and the ability to cover assignments at night or on weekends is required.
A bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related discipline is preferred. Experience working in a digital newsroom is a plus. Two years of small- to mid-sized newspaper experience is preferred. EOE/M/F/D/V.
To apply, email cover letter, resume, work samples and references to email@example.com or mail to: Morning News, 310 S. Dargan St., Florence, SC 29506
|The Post and Courier, Charleston
The successful candidate will have an impeccable track record as a sales and business leader with demonstrable success in driving advertising revenues through creative and aggressive sales approaches. Successful print management experience is a prerequisite, but a strong track record in developing Web revenues will be required.
This position requires an entrepreneurial mindset, with a premium on innovation and leadership. The ideal candidate will have experience at both smaller and larger newspapers and will be able to demonstrate a record of success at all levels. That record will include building and leading large sales organizations and successfully integrating print and digital sales.
The candidate’s areas of expertise should include: directing advertising sales across media platforms; forecasting, tracking and budgeting; staff development; pricing and profitability modeling and execution; designing and improving sales compensation systems; maintaining and growing relationships with strategic accounts, and developing partnerships with the local business community.
The Advertising Director will be expected to forge strong relationships with the publishers and ad directors of Evening Post’s community newspapers to assess and quickly seize joint revenue opportunities.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Growing total revenue as creatively and rapidly as possible.
- Building a sales culture that is professional, aggressive and creative with a key focus on developing new local revenue.
- Working with the publisher to draft a new business model that addresses the current stresses in our industry.
- Overseeing sales training and development.
- Working with the Web team to execute multi-platform sales plans.
- Implementing plans for improving customer service.
- Developing comprehensive marketing strategies to achieve revenue goals.
- Analyzing changing market conditions to identify new business opportunities.
- Implementing new pricing and compensation plans.
- Creating reports that will accurately determine trends and track and forecast revenue.
- Developing strong managers who will lead and not just manage.
- Actively managing expenses.
This position will report to the publisher of The Post and Courier.
Liberal employee benefit program includes group life and health, and dental insurance, short and long-term disability, sick leave, vacation, holidays, and a 401-k incentive savings plan.
Send resumes to Becky Baulch, 134 Columbus Street, Charleston, SC, 29403 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. If responding to the e-mail address, please include the job title in your subject line. We do not accept faxed resumes. Applications may be picked up or dropped off in the lobby during other business hours.
|Lexington County Chronicle
Independent contractor - work 1 day a week. Set your own hours. $120-200 a week for 1 day’s work. Must be reliable and have reliable vehicle. Call Ashley 359-7633
|Lexington County Chronicle
Do you love sales? Selling advertising by referral? Helping clients attract more business? This may be the opportunity for you. Call Linda at 803-359-7633
|The Post and Courier
The Pulitzer Prize-winning Post and Courier is looking for talented designers of all skill levels for a handful of openings in our growing design studio.
The right candidates will be able to demonstrate the ability to work in a collaborative, creative yet fast-paced environment that maintains a strong commitment to high-quality work. In addition to the daily routine, designers may be called upon to illustrate feature stories, produce magazine covers or work on specialized niche products like calendar and fliers. Candidates should be proficient in Adobe InDesign, InCopy and Illustrator. There will be night and weekend work.
An independently owned news organization based in beautiful Charleston, S.C., The Post and Courier offers a break from the cost-cutting (at all costs) recent history of corporate-owned media companies. Our local owners have deep roots in the community and care deeply about this newspaper company and its reputation. (Oh, yeah, did we mention you’d be living minutes from the beach and in a locale that Conde Nast recently ranked as the best cities in the world? There’s that, too.)
If you have the skills to measure up, send a cover letter, resume and portfolio to Production Editor Betsy Miller at email@example.com. We are an equal opportunity employer and drug-free workplace.
|Jasper County Sun Times, Ridgeland
STATEMENT OF THE JOB: Gathers news and information in multimedia formats for digital and print news products in a timely manner from various community locations for Jasper County Sun Times in Ridgeland, SC.
Whether assigned to cover a beat or general assignment, the mobile reporter develops local news via tips, sources and direct assignment. Initial on-scene content should flow credible enough for direct publishing to the Web when necessary. Additional work to increase value, context and quality of the content for digital and print usage is expected to follow first content push to digital.
To provide useful and reliable information to help readers make important decisions in their lives and to help readers understand the impact of news on their lives. That news will be delivered how, when and where readers want it and remain accessible in the process.
EDUCATION: College Degree
EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING: 1 - 2 Years Newspaper Experience (Preferred)
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Produces local news content in multiple formats. This could include shooting photos and video with most stories.
- Is adept covering the news with digital tools and industry standard software in the field. This includes being familiar with digital transmissions protocols. Engages in social media and new media responsibilities as assigned.
- Produces or assists with daily breaking news coverage as well as in-dept work and special projects. Is responsible for planning and filing a news budget for days ahead, including providing an outlook for weekends and special coverage months ahead.
- Focuses on content that emphasizes what readers want to know, why they care and the effect of this issue on their lives.
- Is responsible for keeping abreast of local, state, and national news and for monitoring multiple digital and print local sources and media outlets for leads and tips.
- Is expected to cultivate sources, and provide behind-the-scenes coverage that goes beyond official actions and pronouncements. Provides fair and accurate assessments of news impact.
- Responsible for maintaining a number of administrative tasks such as time card and expense paperwork in a timely manner.
- Is responsible for having/maintaining a working cell phone (SmartPhone preferred) and care of assigned reporting tools. Is responsible for following all company policies. Must have reliable means of transportation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To apply: visit http://blufftontoday.careerplug.com/jobs/145866/apps/new
Digital Sales Consultant
Unique opportunity to lead our digital sales effort. Looking for an individual who is experienced and can “hit the ground running”. Want to work at a newspaper not tied to the corporate structure?
The Index-Journal is a family owned daily newspaper in Greenwood, S.C. and is looking to serve the digital needs of our long-time print advertisers. We have built an incredible Digital Platform and need additional staff to handle the volume. Established client list along with unlimited potential.
Good benefit package, compensation based on experience.
To apply, send resume’ to: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Breaking News Reporter
||Independent Mail, Anderson
The Anderson (SC) Independent Mail, part of the Gannett Co. and the USA Today Network, is seeking a reporter to cover crime, courts and public safety with an emphasis on immediate publication of breaking news. Includes follow-up and enterprise packages covering the emotion and context behind major breaking news developments, along with investigative work on related community problems. Produces high-value digital content with visuals.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with news director and content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (e.g., photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Coaches and mentors less-experienced journalists.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing); self-motivation and self-direction; photo and video skills; advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space
- Ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment;
- Effective time management skills.
Gannett provides a great work environment with a number of benefits to include medical, dental, vision insurance; 401k plan; paid vacation, along with a number of additional benefits.
About USA TODAY NETWORK:
The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in more than 100 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com/
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
|Jobs at S.C. Newspapers
As a service to its member newspapers, the South Carolina Press Association lists employment opportunities on our website upon request. There is no charge for this service to SCPA member newspapers. The non-member fee to post job listings is $35 per ad – with ads being listed for a period of 30 days. Job listings should be emailed to email@example.com.
Those seeking positions within the newspaper industry are encouraged to check this site frequently for new listings.
Click here to access employment opportunities listed on SNPA's site.